Exclusive Q&A / interview with designer Richard Hallmarq

"We were made to inspire the world! - RH" 
Tweeted Richard Hallmarq and I couldn't agree more!



Fashion and music - two things I could never imagine life without, two sources of inspiration and two things which I love the most.  


For me Richard Hallmarq encompasses both - creating breathtaking designs inspired by the Minneapolis music industry.  This is the key influence in shaping the designs RH produces today.


Amongst others he has created striking and magical designs for one of my favourite bands, the NPG (New Power Generation).  You can see Elisa FiorilloShelby J and Liv Warfield rocking his awesome outfits on stage and TV appearances.  


Last month Richard Hallmarq presented The Collection in California, below are just a few photos of his stunning creations.  Believe me, I would absolutely love to get my hands on all the outfits, but I have to say I adore the 2nd outfit!!!!  Just gorgeous!


Photos credited to: Ryuuzaki Julio






I was lucky enough to interview Richard Hallmarq and ask a few questions on his latest collection, inspiration and trends for 2012.


What was your main inspiration behind The Collection? 


RH - My main inspiration behind my most recent collection was water color. I love the patterns and color combinations.


Which song would sum up the vibe and inspiration for your current collection?
RH -"Ooh...This I Need" by Elisa Fiorillo. Its very sexy but also timeless.


What is it that sets the Minneapolis music industry apart from the rest and keeps shaping your designs?
RH - When I was growning up, the Minneapolis music industry had a huge influence in my life. I would listen to Prince, Sheila E, Apollonia 6, Jill Jones, The Time, etc.... I loved their music, hair, make-up, clothing, everything, I was always attracted to anything that was unique. I would come home from school and turn the television on, and get ready for Video Soul on BET. They would play all my favorite videos. I still remember watching the interview with Taja Sevelle. She had on royal blue leather gloves with a matching blue shirt. She had her signature hairstyle as well. She looked amazing!


Your designs look stunning on the N.P.G.!  How much of an influence do you think music has on the fashion industry?
RH - That all depends on the individual who is designing. When I'm in my creative mode, I usually listen to what I'm feeling or what I want the collection to project. Music helps me with my vision.


In your opinion what are the top 3 trends for 2012? 
RH - I love cutting edge pieces, wide leg pants, bold colors, staple pieces in your wardrobe that are hard to find, second hand or one of a kind.


You always seem to be genuinely positive and constantly inspired - what is your biggest source of inspiration right now? 
RH - I spend alot of time traveling with friends, taking road trips. One of my favorite places to visit is San Francisco. Music is another great source of inspiration. I'm always trying to find something new to listen to. Right now in my studio I have in my stereo: "I'm With You" by Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Now & Forever" by The E Family, "Hurricane" by Grace Jones and "Late Nights & Early Mornings" by Marsha Ambrosius.



"The designer the world will soon hear about.  He is the truth. Catch it!" Liv Warfield tweeted.
Indeed - Mr Hallmarq you are an inspiration - keep rocking!!!

Check out Richard Hallmarq online:
RH website
facebook
twitter
For enquires email: info@richardhallmarq.net

Stay tuned for more highlights from The Collection show as well as an exclusive interview / Q&A with Elisa Fiorillo.



No comments: